Skip to main content

Reading to kids

 Hi Reader,

This past weekend I had my first book reading to kids who weren't family or friends. I wasn't sure what to expect, and I know that reading to kids is a fun adventure, you never know what to expect and I want to remember some of these moments, so I will share one with you here.

When I read my book, "A Fish in a Tree", I try to intersperse some information about taking care of our earth. One thing I wanted to try to relate to the children is I have read that it takes 7 years for a mylar balloon to decompose. 

To emphasize this point, I asked if anyone was 7 years old. Immediately the youngest girl in the front row raised her hand. This made me smile and fortunately her grandmother corrected her, "No, you are only 3."

Realizing no one was 7, I tried for 6 and I got one. As I explained the significance, her sister next to her put up four fingers and whispered, "Ask if anyone is 4."  I couldn't help but smile and laugh later. Of course, I asked, "Is anyone 4?" Have to keep my audience happy.

Looking forward to what kids will have in store for me next. 

As Always,

Debbie

In this picture, they were making fish faces, which is part of my introduction. Many thanks to Morris Library for making this possible!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I thought was finished....

Dear Reader, Last I wrote, I told you about my publicist. She was happy with my story just like my husband and other friends, but as we spoke, it seemed like a good idea to hire an editor just to make things the best they could be, after all, this would be my first published book. Let me mention that I have been on writer's retreats, I have attended many writing workshops, I have belonged to several writing groups where we critiqued each other's works and therefore I knew that you may think you are done, but someone else's eyes will point out things you didn't see. Sometimes the critiques are a little painful. You have presented your "masterpiece" that you have toiled over every word and in a few moments, your ego can be bruised. Critiquing is a great necessity, but it can be painful. I had never worked with an editor before and I braced myself for pain. First, I had to find an editor. It is awesome that with the help of the internet you can hire a publicist, ...

How it began

 Dear Reader, Now that you know I have always been a writer, I'd like to tell you how "A Fish in a Tree" came to be. I was in the kitchen, preparing a meal for family, when my grandson and his family arrived. He came running to me saying, "Grammy, I saw a fish in a tree!" I said, "A fish in a tree, how can that be?" My husband said, "That sounds like a book." Silas went on to explain the "fish" was a balloon stuck in a tree. It is awesome to enjoy the wonderment of children in such things like this. That evening, I thought about my husband's words and in probably half an hour, I wrote, "A Fish in a Tree".  I was pleased with what I wrote, explaining to children in a fun rhyming way that balloons do not belong in nature. A story was born. My husband thought it was good. I shared it with some others, and they had a few suggestions and I tweaked it a bit. (It was much later that I learned, it was far from where it could b...

You've Got Another Think...

My latest rabbit trail really had me fleshing out the details of eggcorns. What are eggcorns? Once upon a time, a woman called an acorn, an "eggcorn." This word actually described the shape of an acorn and thus eggcorn became the accepted term to describe a misheard phrase with words that still could make sense. Thus, I am fleshing out the details not flushing out.   Now before you tell me that is a bold-faced lie, it is not. It would actually be a bald-faced lie if it were not true. Bald-faced meaning bare, uncovered, exposed face.  I hope you are not chomping at the bit about this because the correct phrase is champing at the bit, as in a horse gnawing on his bit.  Have I piqued your interest? It's not peaked.  Are you waiting for the next one with bated breath? Thank goodness not baited breath--that would be wormy.  Many think we are honing in on things here and yes, we are sharpening the details, but it was originally homing in, such as homing pigeons o...