Skip to main content

Well, it happened!

Dear Reader, 

 When I read "A Fish in a Tree" to kids, I often start out talking about fish--asking them to make fish faces and then asking where fish live. Sea or ocean is the most common answer, but I do get the rivers and lakes and ponds too. Some think of aquariums before I ask if they have ever been to one. I ask if anyone has ever had a pet fish and some have. After building that up, I then pull out the poster of my book and ask incrediously, "But did you ever see a fish in a tree?" 

Well, at one reading, the inevitable happened as one boy told me he had a pet fish but it died. I said, "That's sad but it sometimes happens." He then continued, "My Dad flushed it down the toilet." Kids gasped and looked at him in disbelief. One asked, "Why did he do that?" My presentation had been derailed by a dead fish spiraling down the toilet. I was off guard but tried to bring them back to happier times and my story. I am sure some little minds were still reeling about the royal flush and probably would go home to their parents talking about that instead of my book. I really should prepare for this, as it will probably happen again. 

People never seem to give fish a proper burial in their yard like other pets. Poor things seem to get less respect, but they don't answer to their names or show any affection, so I guess that is one reason this is their ultimate resting place, an easy flush down the pipes. I suppose it's fitting to be put in a watery grave. Anyone ever think of giving them a burial at sea? I guess that would be over the top and I am not sure the repercussions on the environment should another fish eat them. Life is less complicated with a flush. 

Who would have ever thought my children's book would end up with discussions on life and death? Even when I point out that balloons and strings are dangers to animals and birds, I tell them that it could make the creatures sick. I try not to dwell on the possibility of death. Children learn too soon the harsh realities of life. I want my book to be a gentle reminder of taking care of animals and our earth. 

I think I have learned when I ask if they have/had a pet fish, I need to move on quickly from that question and not try to engage any comments. I don't want to write a squeal, "A fish in a toilet".  

As Always,

Debbie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another chapter in the journey

 Dear Reader,  For the next chapter in my journey, I decided to do some more research. I already knew that Connecticut Publishers and Authors Association highly recommended self-publishing for reasons that I previously stated. I did know a couple of people who had self-published, and I saw that many of the CAPA members did it repeatedly.  I decided to contact one of my friends who published a children's book. We met for coffee, and she spoke freely about her experience, the time, the money, basically all the blood, sweat and tears. I was encouraged and discouraged at the same time. At the end she said, "I will never, ever do it again." Ouch. Stabbing words that I didn't want to hear. Yet, I decided to keep researching. I noticed a children's book author who was selling locally and decided to contact her and ask her about her journey. She was quite willing to share her experiences. She was trying to promote this book as Covid was first upon us and that really slowe

What I thought was finished....

Dear Reader, Last I wrote, I told you about my publicist. She was happy with my story just like my husband and other friends, but as we spoke, it seemed like a good idea to hire an editor just to make things the best they could be, after all, this would be my first published book. Let me mention that I have been on writer's retreats, I have attended many writing workshops, I have belonged to several writing groups where we critiqued each other's works and therefore I knew that you may think you are done, but someone else's eyes will point out things you didn't see. Sometimes the critiques are a little painful. You have presented your "masterpiece" that you have toiled over every word and in a few moments, your ego can be bruised. Critiquing is a great necessity, but it can be painful. I had never worked with an editor before and I braced myself for pain. First, I had to find an editor. It is awesome that with the help of the internet you can hire a publicist,