Skip to main content

An Introduction

Dear Reader,

Writing has been a part of my life from the moment I could form sentences. When I was in third grade, I had my first writing success when I won the puppet stage prize the teacher offered for the best essay. I haven't stopped writing since.

What do I write? I write short stories, poems, children's stories and a novel has been in the works forever. I have written manuals for various work projects. In high school I started a monthly newspaper for my small hometown. Together with some friends, we produced it monthly for two years. 

I have won (well, 2nd place) two short story contests, won a limerick contest and have been published in newspapers and local historical books. 

I have always written letters too, from the first thank you notes that my mother insisted I write to a dozen pen pals in different states across America and internationally to Australia, Denmark, Greece and Saudi Arabia. That brings me to the name of this blog. I brainstormed and agonized over what to call this new blog. I loved, "Ponderings and Wanderings"--taken. My husband suggested, "Random Thoughts", I knew that was taken. Every new idea that I came up with, I googled. Nothing was original. I thought back to when I was a pen pal. My usual sign off was, "As Always, Debbie". Now full circle, I am using it again.

Don't let me mislead you that writing is my livelihood. I worked nearly 8 years in insurance and 34 years for the small post office in the town I grew up in, the last 17 tears as Postmaster (note: master, never mistress).  I am now retired, and my other titles include Wife, mother, grammy and volunteer. I am now more seriously pursuing my dream title of published author. 

I am on a journey now, with my first published book, "A Fish in a Tree"--not to be confused with "Fish in a Tree"--I didn't google my title when I started, but my book could not have any other name anyway. Nothing else would do.


I think I will leave you with this for now, a little introduction about me. I'll be back! Until next time...


As Always,

Debbie






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I thought was finished....

Dear Reader, Last I wrote, I told you about my publicist. She was happy with my story just like my husband and other friends, but as we spoke, it seemed like a good idea to hire an editor just to make things the best they could be, after all, this would be my first published book. Let me mention that I have been on writer's retreats, I have attended many writing workshops, I have belonged to several writing groups where we critiqued each other's works and therefore I knew that you may think you are done, but someone else's eyes will point out things you didn't see. Sometimes the critiques are a little painful. You have presented your "masterpiece" that you have toiled over every word and in a few moments, your ego can be bruised. Critiquing is a great necessity, but it can be painful. I had never worked with an editor before and I braced myself for pain. First, I had to find an editor. It is awesome that with the help of the internet you can hire a publicist, ...

How it began

 Dear Reader, Now that you know I have always been a writer, I'd like to tell you how "A Fish in a Tree" came to be. I was in the kitchen, preparing a meal for family, when my grandson and his family arrived. He came running to me saying, "Grammy, I saw a fish in a tree!" I said, "A fish in a tree, how can that be?" My husband said, "That sounds like a book." Silas went on to explain the "fish" was a balloon stuck in a tree. It is awesome to enjoy the wonderment of children in such things like this. That evening, I thought about my husband's words and in probably half an hour, I wrote, "A Fish in a Tree".  I was pleased with what I wrote, explaining to children in a fun rhyming way that balloons do not belong in nature. A story was born. My husband thought it was good. I shared it with some others, and they had a few suggestions and I tweaked it a bit. (It was much later that I learned, it was far from where it could b...

You've Got Another Think...

My latest rabbit trail really had me fleshing out the details of eggcorns. What are eggcorns? Once upon a time, a woman called an acorn, an "eggcorn." This word actually described the shape of an acorn and thus eggcorn became the accepted term to describe a misheard phrase with words that still could make sense. Thus, I am fleshing out the details not flushing out.   Now before you tell me that is a bold-faced lie, it is not. It would actually be a bald-faced lie if it were not true. Bald-faced meaning bare, uncovered, exposed face.  I hope you are not chomping at the bit about this because the correct phrase is champing at the bit, as in a horse gnawing on his bit.  Have I piqued your interest? It's not peaked.  Are you waiting for the next one with bated breath? Thank goodness not baited breath--that would be wormy.  Many think we are honing in on things here and yes, we are sharpening the details, but it was originally homing in, such as homing pigeons o...