Skip to main content

What I thought was finished....

Dear Reader,

Last I wrote, I told you about my publicist. She was happy with my story just like my husband and other friends, but as we spoke, it seemed like a good idea to hire an editor just to make things the best they could be, after all, this would be my first published book.

Let me mention that I have been on writer's retreats, I have attended many writing workshops, I have belonged to several writing groups where we critiqued each other's works and therefore I knew that you may think you are done, but someone else's eyes will point out things you didn't see. Sometimes the critiques are a little painful. You have presented your "masterpiece" that you have toiled over every word and in a few moments, your ego can be bruised. Critiquing is a great necessity, but it can be painful.

I had never worked with an editor before and I braced myself for pain. First, I had to find an editor. It is awesome that with the help of the internet you can hire a publicist, editor and illustrator without ever even meeting them. 

I used a service called "Reedsy" to search for an editor. The program is based in London but has many editors and illustrators in the USA. You can browse by category and read the credentials of the people you can hire. I narrowed it down to a couple I was interested in. I had to send samples of my work to see if they would be willing to work with me. 

That is how I "met" Jennifer Rees. Her credentials were wonderful--15 years with Scholastic and amongst other books she edited was "The Hunger Games". I knew I was in good hands. Not only was she qualified, but she was also encouraging and gentle with her critiques. 

One of the problems with a rhyming book is if something needs to be changed, it may not be a simple task as just picking a better word. You need to consider the rhythm, syllables and the rhymes. One thing Jennifer suggested was the book needed a main character other than the balloon. That is how Wren and Twitchy were created to enhance the story. See what I mean about thinking the story was done before?

In the past when I had materials critiqued by peers, it wasn't always pleasant. Working with Jennifer was pure joy. Yes, I had to re-write but I trusted her, and she was extremely helpful. I can honestly say that I enjoyed working with her so much, that I was almost sad when we were done working together. All my pre-conceived ideas about editors were erased and I hope I have the opportunity again.

Now, I had one more big decision to make, the illustrator. I'll tell you about that next time.

As Always,

Debbie






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, it happened!

Dear Reader,   When I read "A Fish in a Tree" to kids, I often start out talking about fish--asking them to make fish faces and then asking where fish live. Sea or ocean is the most common answer, but I do get the rivers and lakes and ponds too. Some think of aquariums before I ask if they have ever been to one. I ask if anyone has ever had a pet fish and some have. After building that up, I then pull out the poster of my book and ask incrediously, "But did you ever see a fish in a tree?"  Well, at one reading, the inevitable happened as one boy told me he had a pet fish but it died. I said, "That's sad but it sometimes happens." He then continued, "My Dad flushed it down the toilet." Kids gasped and looked at him in disbelief. One asked, "Why did he do that?" My presentation had been derailed by a dead fish spiraling down the toilet. I was off guard but tried to bring them back to happier times and my story. I am sure some lit

Another chapter in the journey

 Dear Reader,  For the next chapter in my journey, I decided to do some more research. I already knew that Connecticut Publishers and Authors Association highly recommended self-publishing for reasons that I previously stated. I did know a couple of people who had self-published, and I saw that many of the CAPA members did it repeatedly.  I decided to contact one of my friends who published a children's book. We met for coffee, and she spoke freely about her experience, the time, the money, basically all the blood, sweat and tears. I was encouraged and discouraged at the same time. At the end she said, "I will never, ever do it again." Ouch. Stabbing words that I didn't want to hear. Yet, I decided to keep researching. I noticed a children's book author who was selling locally and decided to contact her and ask her about her journey. She was quite willing to share her experiences. She was trying to promote this book as Covid was first upon us and that really slowe