Skip to main content

More adventures in reading

 

Dear Reader,

I didn't have a clue the "little things" that would happen that I appreciate at my book readings. After the latest Family Fun Day reading, there were many craft tables set up for the kids to participate in. I was sitting near my grandchild and this little girl we didn't know was busily coloring her best on this little butterfly. When she was done, she held the butterfly as if it were flying a zig zag path and then "landed" it on me giving it to me to keep. 

    I said, "Are you giving this to me?" She nodded yes. How can you not love such sweet gestures from children? I did thank her and to whoever the parents are, great job! I am keeping this sweet memento. Little things mean a lot!


As Always,

Debbie



 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I thought was finished....

Dear Reader, Last I wrote, I told you about my publicist. She was happy with my story just like my husband and other friends, but as we spoke, it seemed like a good idea to hire an editor just to make things the best they could be, after all, this would be my first published book. Let me mention that I have been on writer's retreats, I have attended many writing workshops, I have belonged to several writing groups where we critiqued each other's works and therefore I knew that you may think you are done, but someone else's eyes will point out things you didn't see. Sometimes the critiques are a little painful. You have presented your "masterpiece" that you have toiled over every word and in a few moments, your ego can be bruised. Critiquing is a great necessity, but it can be painful. I had never worked with an editor before and I braced myself for pain. First, I had to find an editor. It is awesome that with the help of the internet you can hire a publicist, ...

You've Got Another Think...

My latest rabbit trail really had me fleshing out the details of eggcorns. What are eggcorns? Once upon a time, a woman called an acorn, an "eggcorn." This word actually described the shape of an acorn and thus eggcorn became the accepted term to describe a misheard phrase with words that still could make sense. Thus, I am fleshing out the details not flushing out.   Now before you tell me that is a bold-faced lie, it is not. It would actually be a bald-faced lie if it were not true. Bald-faced meaning bare, uncovered, exposed face.  I hope you are not chomping at the bit about this because the correct phrase is champing at the bit, as in a horse gnawing on his bit.  Have I piqued your interest? It's not peaked.  Are you waiting for the next one with bated breath? Thank goodness not baited breath--that would be wormy.  Many think we are honing in on things here and yes, we are sharpening the details, but it was originally homing in, such as homing pigeons o...

How it began

 Dear Reader, Now that you know I have always been a writer, I'd like to tell you how "A Fish in a Tree" came to be. I was in the kitchen, preparing a meal for family, when my grandson and his family arrived. He came running to me saying, "Grammy, I saw a fish in a tree!" I said, "A fish in a tree, how can that be?" My husband said, "That sounds like a book." Silas went on to explain the "fish" was a balloon stuck in a tree. It is awesome to enjoy the wonderment of children in such things like this. That evening, I thought about my husband's words and in probably half an hour, I wrote, "A Fish in a Tree".  I was pleased with what I wrote, explaining to children in a fun rhyming way that balloons do not belong in nature. A story was born. My husband thought it was good. I shared it with some others, and they had a few suggestions and I tweaked it a bit. (It was much later that I learned, it was far from where it could b...